Thursday 1 March 2018

Milestone


Thurs 1 March 2018

No walk yesterday. The office Wellbeing Group usually organise 'Walk it off Wednesday' for those wanting a bit of light exercise (about a mile). I had considered going along as a way of meeting people in my new workplace, while at the same time using the walk for my usual purposes. It was cancelled due to 'suspect weather conditions'. The 'Beast from the East' had brought snow, ice and iffy walking prospects to the pavements. I decided I was going to head out as usual, but a heavy snow shower at lunchtime made me change my mind at the last minute.

With conditions on the pavements still a bit dodgy and in apparently sub-zero temperatures , I managed only a short wander today. I took semi-shelter in the market. Some traders were already packing up. Some, like a stall selling air guns, hadn't opened in the first place. Some were stoically hanging on, including Jehovahs Witnesses manning a proper market stall waiting for someone to talk to. I admired their optimism, the near frozen market was almost deserted.

I left and headed to the Cathedral and  through the Norman Arch to double back to work. Just before getting back to the market I noticed wording on an old looking stone incorporated into the  wall of a building.   At first I didn't recognise it for what it was.  The cryptic message 'London 79 by Huntington Thorney 7' first brought to mind something they might say on the shipping forecast, or an archaic sporting result. On realising it was a milestone I remembered it was two weeks to the day I'd started commuting. It felt fitting to have stumbled across the stone to mark the occasion.

Milestone, Peterborough, Psychogeography
Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment